John Sells Middle School

  • Original Cost: $5,200,000

    Opened: 1984 

    In the 1950s, an addition was made to the building to support the growing number of students, and it eventually became the first Dublin High School. During this time, Dublin changed its school colors from red and white to green and white. In 1984, an even larger modification was made to the building, ultimately transforming it into a centrally located middle school, increasing its square footage to its current size. The settlement of what is now the City of Dublin, began in 1801-02 when two brothers, Peter and Benjamin Sells, came from Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania to buy land for themselves, their father Ludwig, and brothers William, Samuel and John. In just a few weeks, John built a log cabin south of the present day Dublin bridge, which became known as the “Sells settlement.” In 1809, Sells built the first tavern in the area. The Black Horse Tavern attracted weary travelers as well as soldiers. During this time, Chief Shateyoranyah, also known as Leatherlips, and John Sells became friendly community allies. When John Sells died on June 20, 1841, he was recognized as the first to do many things in the area and some consider him to be “The Father of Dublin.” Sells Middle School was honored as a Blue Ribbon School in the 1980s by the U.S. Department of Education.

    District enrollment when the building opened was 3,364 students. 

    The building is 97,141 square feet in size.